Dark Lord Day 2016
Date: April 30, 2016
- 1 Overview
- 2 Details
- 3 Festival Map & Layout
- 4 Festival Program
- 5 Ticket Sales
- 6 Taplist
- 7 Dark Matter Coffee
- 8 Dark Lord Hot Sauce
- 9 Variants
- 10 Bands
- 11 Alpha King Comic Book
- 12 Legal Bottle Sharing
- 13 Poster
- 14 Photos
- 15 Videos
- 16 Press Coverage
Dark Lord Day 2016 was held on Saturday, April 30th. This year also served as the 20th Anniversary Party for Three Floyds. The festival layout was largely unchanged from 2015, however in anticipation of another rainy event, the main band stage was moved inside of the large bottle sharing tent. To create more standing room, there were no longer any picnic tables under this tent.
The largest change to the festival was the move to an all inclusive model. Tickets were $200, but included 4 bottles of 2016 Dark Lord, one barrel aged Dark Lord variant, $40 in food & drink vouchers, and a commemorative tote bag. General Admission tickets were no longer available.
The North Gate line could be described as a disaster. For many people it took nearly 2 hours to get through the barricades at the North Gate, causing many Group A ticket holders to miss most of their sales time slot. As people were stuck in these barricades for over an hour bottle sharing, many people needed to use the bathroom without any way to get to porta-johns. Many people ended up walking backwards through line and trying to cut back in. Some people resorted to relieving themselves at the end of a row or just in the middle of the line.
This year rivaled 2015 for the rainiest Dark Lord Day yet.
The festival gates opened at 10:00 am. and the festival lasted until 10:00 pm.
Black with sparkles
Allotment & Price
4 bottles. Included in ticket price.
1 barrel aged Dark Lord variant also included with ticket.
8,000 - 10,000
Notable To Go Beers
As with with 2015, there were no packaged beer sales apart from Dark Lord.
Notable Food Options
- Dark Lord Ice Cream
- Dark Lord Hot Sauce
- The Beast - French Fries, Dark Lord Chili, Brisket, Beef Frank, Coleslaw, Bjorn Swole Hot Sauce
The brewpub was closed for the event.
Black mini-snifter. Front: Skull logo Back: FFF 20 years logo. (Qty: 480)
For glassware sold at the Dark Matter booth, please see the Dark Matter Coffee section.
Axe bottle openers were sold in both a double sided, and single sided version. They were also sold on Three Floyds website after the event.
High: 48 °F Low: 42 °F
Rain started around 9:00 am and lasted almost the entire day.
Group Sales Schedule
- Group A - 10:30am - 12:30pm
- Group B - 12:30pm - 2:30pm
- Group C - 2:30pm - 4:30pm
- Group D - 4:30pm - 6:30pm
- Group E - 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Festival Map & Layout
Food & Drink Vouchers
This was the first year food & drink vouchers were offered and included as part of your ticket. 8 vouchers worth $5 each were given to each attendee. There were 6 unique designs on the back side of the vouchers. Due to the rain, most vouchers that were not used ended up soaked and partially ruined.
Number of tickets sold: Estimated 8,000 - 10,000.
This year the festival moved to an all inclusive model. The ticket price jumped to $200, however this price included 4 bottles of 2016 Dark Lord. One barrel aged Dark Lord variant, $40 in food & drink vouchers, and a commemorative tote bag. Using the valuations of these individual items based on 2015 pricing, this came to $210 in value for $200.
There were no General Admission tickets offered this year.
Brewpub Ticket Sales
Group A tickets for Dark Lord Day were sold at the brewpub on Monday, April 11th at 7:00 am. Tweet went out a little after 6 in the morning. Line to start at 6:45 and sales to start at 7:00 am. One per person, cash only.
Ticket sales lasted well into the afternoon, selling out just before 4:00 pm.
As in 2015, each sales group had a unique event badge design.
Other festival passes:
Dark Matter Coffee
Dark Matter Coffee was present at Dark Lord day selling coffee, espresso, and merchandise.
Notably mini-snifters, Blood Lord Barrel Aged Coffee beans, and Black Hole Necromancer were available for purchase. 1500 bottles of Black Hole Necromancer were available at $12 a bottle or $40 a 4-pack. 500 bags of Blood Lord coffee beans were available for $20 each.
- Gold mini-snifter - Front: Gold Tribal FFF logo; Back Dark Matter logo. $25 2-pack (Qty: 2000)
- Silver mini-snifter - Front: Silver FFF space logo, Back Dark Matter logo $25 2-pack (Qty: 2000)
- Silver coffee mug - Front: Silver FFF space logo, Back Dark Matter logo
These were all available online through Dark Matter's website after Dark Lord Day. A black mini-snifter was also sold at the Three Floyds merchandise tent of which only 240 pairs were available.
Dark Lord Hot Sauce
Dark Lord hot sauce was again for sale in 2016. This time titled Bjorn Swole Hot Sauce. This year over 1,000 bottles were produced.
He’s bottled a new twist on last year’s Dark Lord-infused hot sauce and whipped up a spicy pork shoulder rub made with ancho and guajillo chili peppers left behind after aging for a year in cognac barrels to make Dark Lord de Muerete. “Last year it was a hotter version of barbecue sauce. I’d rate it a 7 on a 1-to-10 scale of hotness. We wanted to make it hotter and thinner and bridge the gap between that super rich roastiness of Dark Lord with brighter flavors of an Asian flare,” Niebling said. “So it’s got lemongrass and ginger, garlic and carrots."
In 2016 the ticket included a guaranteed variant to all attendees, instead of the scratch off system from prior years. The cost of the bottle was built into the price of the ticket.
- Marshmallow Handjee (Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Dark Lord) - 672
- French Vanilla Militia (Dark Lord aged in Armagnac-soaked barrels with vanilla, cocoa nibs and coffee.) - 1104
- Ronaldo (Dark Lord aged in barrels soaked in Madeira, a fortified Portuguese wine, with tart Michigan cherries) - 422
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord - 859
- Quit Hitting Yourself (Dark Lord aged in Porto and Madeira barrels) - 1384 (some say 1394)
- Trump and Pump (Dark Lord aged in barrels soaked in Sauternes, a French dessert wine commonly served with foie gras, adorned with another Draxler painting.) - 1286
- Legio Gemina (Dark Lord aged in barrels soaked in Pineau de Charentes, a French aperitif.) - 854
- De Muerte (Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels with Guajillo chilies.) - 618
- Dwarven Power Bottom (Dark Lord aged in barrels soaked in Muscat, an Italian dessert wine.) - 455
- Temeculan 3000 (Dark Lord aged in Pineau Charentes-soaked barrels with green cardamom and Ceylon cinnamon) - 840
Three 2015 variants were also available to choose from this year:
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord De Muerte - 504
- Aquavit Dark Lord - 1026
- Earl of Biggleswade - 648
Back to a single stage this year, however the main stage was setup in the large tent instead of outside because of the rainy conditions.
- Lord Mantis
- Plague Bringer
- Municipal Waste
Sets from DJ Dave Duchek throughout the day
Alpha King Comic Book
The new Alpha King Comic launched it's first issue at Dark Lord Day 2016, Brian Azzarello (Writer), Nick Floyd (Writer), and Simon Bisley (Artist) were all there signing copies.
Signing sessions occurred at 12:00 pm, 2:00 pm, 4:00 pm, and 6:00 pm, and lasted 45 minutes. Alpha king Comic Books were sold at a cost of $4 each.
Legal Bottle Sharing
While bottle sharing has long been a tradition at Dark Lord Day, and has been tolerated by State and local police, it has never been technically legal. Three Floyds worked with the Indiana legislature to pass Bill 1386, which among other things, makes bottle sharing at festivals legal in Indiana.
We haven’t been ignoring all of your questions about bottle shares at Dark Lord Day this year. We purposely kept silent so as not to jeopardize House Bill 1386 as it was being considered by the Indiana legislature and awaited approval by Governor Pence. This bill addressed several beer and alcohol permitting and sales policies, not the least of which was the ability for Dark Lord Day festival-goers to bring their favorite craft beers into the festival to share with others.
We are happy to announce that House Bill 1386 became law last week on March 24. As noted, this law allows for bottle-sharing at Dark Lord Day, under the following provisions:
1. No wine or liquor is allowed on the premises.
2. Beer brought in must fit in your backpack and may not exceed 288 oz., which is the equivalent of one case of beer. Backpacks should be of standard size (approximately 10” X 10” X 16”, able to fit in a milk crate), no frames and no wheels.
3. Beer that is brought into Dark Lord Day may be consumed or traded.
4. Beer may be carried out of the festival grounds, but it must be in sealed, unopened containers. This means no flip top jugs or growlers.Thank you for your patience while we remained silent on this issue for the past couple of weeks and thank you for your cooperation in closely following the above provisions when you come to Dark Lord Day 2016.
Artist: Dan Grzeca