Dark Lord Day 2010
Date: April 24, 2010
Dark Lord Day 2010 was held on Saturday, April 24th. An estimated 12,000 beer fans attended, making it one of the highest attended Dark Lord Days. The huge crowds forced Three Floyd's to make big changes to the festival in 2011. In previous years, the line to purchase Dark Lord stretched either North up Indiana Parkway towards Superior Drive, or South down Indiana Parkway towards Progress Ave. This year however, two lines formed; one from the North and one from the South. These two lines converged upon the brewery parking lot and combined into a mass of confusion. These lines were also mixed up with the draft and food lines also present in the parking lot. Lack of barriers, or direction from Three Floyd's staff resulted in much confusion as to what line went where.
Another issue this year was the use of counterfeit tickets. Since all Golden Tickets were identical, with no barcode or unique identifier, they were easily counterfeited. Three Floyd's staff became aware of this issue, but decided to honor counterfeits as many people purchased them online, not realizing they were fakes. As a result, the allotment had to be cut from 4 bottles to 3 bottles around 3:00 pm.
An estimated 8,000 tickets were sold, however the event was still open to anyone. Three Floyd's announced that after the 5:00 pm cutoff for Golden Ticket holders, Dark Lord sales would be open to anyone.
The festival hours were 10:00 am to 8:00 pm. Bottle sales for ticket holders started at 11:00 am and lasted until 5:00 pm.
Allotment & Price
4 bottles per Golden Ticket. $15 a bottle.
You could use two tickets per person for an allotment of 8 bottles. You also had the option of substituting one of your bottles for a 2009 Dark Lord at a cost of $20.
Allotment had to be cut to 3 bottles per ticket, late in the day, due to counterfeit tickets.
Estimated 10,000 - 12,000.
~ 8,000 tickets sold.
Notable To Go Beers
2009 Dark Lord was available in lieu of one 2010 Dark Lord.
The brewpub was open for the event.
High: 66 °F Low: 53 °F
Overcast, light rain around 7:00 pm.
Number of tickets sold: ~8,000
Ticket announcement from Three Floyd's
"The only way to ensure that you'll get some Darklord is to purchase a ticket online. The proceeds from the sale of these tickets go to a local charity. These tickets will go on sale on March 17th. The time of the sale is yet to be announced. We will announce the sales details of the tickets on Twitter followed by posts on the Darklord day web site as well as the Rate Beer and Beer Advocate web sites."
People stayed up all night in anticipation of the Tweet going out early in the morning, as lottery emails had gone out early in the AM in 2009. The tickets did not actually go on sale until around 7:00 pm Central.
Golden tickets went on sale at 7:05pm CST on March 17th and the servers had issues with the large volume of traffic, with many users reporting they were unable to get the site to load. Users were able to purchase up to two tickets. The tickets sold out in about one hour.
Each Golden Ticket included one free pour of Dark Lord, which could be upgraded to a barrel aged Dark Lord for $5.
2010 Golden Ticket.
Notable FFF Taps
- Oak Aged Dark Lord (Bourbon barrel aged)
- Vanilla Bean Dark Lord (Bourbon barrel aged)
- Stone Brewing Vertical Epic 08-08-08
- Stone Brewing Old Guardian 2006
- Stone Brewing Old Guardian aged in Red Wine Barrels
- Southern Tier Choklat
- Southern Tier Javah
- Southern Tier Oak Aged Unearthly
- Bells Hopslam
- Bells Poolside
- Bells Barrel Aged Hell Hath No Fury
- Gouden Carolus Cuvee’ The Emperor Blau 2007
- Upland Brewing Infinite Wisdom Triple
- Upland Brewing Light Wave
- Upland Brewing Scotch Ale
- Upland Brewing Firkin ? (surprise)
- Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout
- Founders Double Dry Hopped Centennial IPA firkin
- New Belgium Eric’s Ale
- New Albanian Old Ale
- Dogfish Head Fort
- Dogfish Head Burton Baton
- Dogfish Head Old School
- Van Steenberge Klokke Roland
- Victory St Victorious
- Victory St Boisterous
- Victory Smoked Oatmeal Porter
- Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree
- Petrus Oud Bruin
- Ommegang Belgian Pale Ale
- Schlafly Quadruple
- Schlafly Barrel Aged Smoked Porter
- Brooklyn Brewmaster’s Reserve Cookie Jar Porter
- Brooklyn Brewmaster’s Reserve Sorachi Ace
- Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Fritz and Ken’s ale
- Pizza Port Carlsbad 10th ann. Bel strong ale
- Pizza Port San Clemente B.A. Infamous Imp stout
- Pizza Port San Clemente Sticky Stout
- Cigar City Brandy winter warmer
- Surly Tea Bagged Furious Firkin
- Flossmoor .357 imp pils
- Flossmoor 1492 IPA
- Avery Moloch
- Avery Maharaja
- Avery Bourbon bbl oatmeal
- Avery Meph addict
- Avery Depuceluese
- Avery Joe American Pil
- Avery Uberschwein
- Boulevard Tank 7
- Firestone Walker Union Jack
- Firestone Walker Pale 31
This was the first year Intelligentsia Coffee was present at the event. They were serving espresso.
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord (draft only)
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Dark Lord (draft only)
- YouTube Video
- YouTube Video 2
- YouTube Video 3
- YouTube Video 4
- YouTube Video 5
- YouTube Video 6
- YouTube Video 7
- Before the gates opened
- Waxing bottles before the event