Dark Lord Day 2020
Date: Originally planned for May 16, 2020, but cancelled due to COVID-19 outbreak. Later changed to a curbside pick-up only format over several days in November 2020.
Original Announcement & Postponement
Date of the festival was announced via social media and the website was updated on January 10, 2020.
On March 13, 2020, 3 Floyds announced that ticket sales, and the festival were both postponed until further notice due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
With the current state of the COVID-19 situation and regulations put out by the state of Indiana, Dark Lord Day and all ticket sales will be postponed until further notice. We will share any rescheduling information as soon as we have it. Stay safe, and we hope to see you all very soon.
On May 16, 2020, the day Dark Lord Day was originally scheduled, Three Floyds posted to social media that they would be selling some vintage Dark Lord and variants the following month:
We should be opening up the gates for Dark Lord Day right now... To hold you over, we’re going to open up sales for some vintage Dark Lord + variants next month 🍻 We’re talking ChemTrailMix, Marshmallow Handjee, ‘Rrari Crochet + many many more 🍓 Keep an eye out here for details. The pandemic delayed production for the 2020 brew, but don’t worry — it’s still in the works. We can’t wait to party with you all again 🎉 In the meantime, hit us with your favorite Dark Lord Day story below... we know you have some
On May 18, 2020 rumors began circulating that the brewpub would be closing indefinitely, as employees were given notice that they were let go. This was first reported by the Chicago beer blog Guys Drinking Beer, and confirmed by Josh Noel on Twitter on May 19th and an article in the Chicago Tribune on May 20, 2020. In that article Nick Floyd confirmed he was keeping the brewpub closed indefinitely until he felt it was safe to operate again. The large planned expansion of the brewery & brewpub that had been announced a couple years prior was confirmed to be put on hold. This news made it unlikely that there would be a Dark Lord Day festival in 2020.
The Brewpub remained closed throughout 2020.
In December 2020, through a letter to investors, 3 Floyds announced that "As of December 1, 2020, we have decided to permanently close 3 Floyds Brewpub."
2020 Dark Lord Packages
On October 5th, the darklordday.com website was updated with new information. Packages of 2020 Dark Lord would be sold on October 19th for $170. These packages would include 4 bottles of regular Dark Lord and one barrel aged variant. The variant included will be random. Curbside pickup would be available from November 5-10.
The variants were announced on October 12th, but with a twist. The types of barrels used were obscured with characters such as: ◻︎◼︎◻︎◼︎◻︎◼︎◻︎ ▼▷▼▷▼▷▼▷▼ and left people to make guesses what types of barrels they represented.
Variant barrels were revealed at the same time that packages went on sale, on October 19th. Regular Dark Lord bottles had a new custom printed bottle instead of a traditional label.
No festival was held this year.
Allotment & Price
4 bottles of Dark Lord and 1 Dark Lord variant. $170 package.
The brewpub was closed in May 2020.
Dark Lord Day Merchandise was added to the web store on Tuesday 11/3. The Windbreaker was limited, with only 50 made. The Throwback Tee was available starting with the Vintage Dark Lord pickup dates in July 2020.
Tickets were originally planned to go on sale March 21st, 2020. However, due to COVID-19, ticket sales are the festival were postponed and eventually cancelled. On October 5th an updated format was announced. Dark Lord Day packages would be sold on Monday, October 19 at 3pm CDT. These packages would allow for curbside pickup of Dark Lord allotments.
Sales Date: 10/19/2020 at 3PM CDT
Pickup Window: 11/5/2020 - 11/10/2020
Included with the package:
- Four custom-printed bottles of 2020 Dark Lord Russian-Style Imperial Stout
- One bottle of a rare 2020 Dark Lord variant
- Tote bag
Packages limit 2 per person.
Customers will select their pickup date online at the time of purchase. Pickup dates include: November 11, 12, 13, and 14.
If you are unable to pick up your packages during the scheduled dates, you may authorize an additional pickup person at the time of purchase. Must show valid 21+ ID.
On your scheduled pickup date:
- Arrive any time between 11am-6pm and follow the ‘Dark Lord Bottle Pickup’ signs to pull into a pickup lane.
- Show your valid 21+ ID and confirmation email to the 3 Floyds employee through your closed car window. Your ID must match the name on the confirmation email or match the name of the authorized pickup person, no exceptions.
- Pop your trunk or roll down your rear window. An employee will place your Dark Lord package(s) in your vehicle.
- To purchase merchandise, follow the signs to park in the designated lot. All beer, spirits, and merchandise will be available for purchase onsite. Please DO NOT place an order online for curbside pickup.
Packages went on sale on Monday October 19th at 3PM CDT. Packages were separated by pickup day. November 5th was the first to sell out, selling out around 9pm that evening. November 7th sold out on Tuesday 10/20 around 10pm. November 6th sold out on Tuesday 10/27 around 3pm. November 10th sold out on Thursday 10/29 around 4pm. The remaining dates either sold out or were removed from the store on Monday 11/2 around 3pm.
Vintage Bottle Sales
Packages of Vintage bottles went on sale on 6/30/2020 on the 3floyds.com web shop and sold out in under 15 minutes. Packages were $150 for 4 bottles (3 regular and 1 variant) or $200 for 5 bottles (3 regular and 2 variants).
Information from 3 Floyds on Vintages Dark Lord Pacakges:
Vintage DARK LORD PACKAGES
On sale June 30, 3pm CDT at 3floyds.com
Each $150 package includes:
- Three bottles of vintage Dark Lord Russian-Style Imperial Stout
- One bottle of a rare vintage Dark Lord variant
- Tote bag
5-packs (including one additional variant) are available for $200, while supplies last.
Limit 3 packages per customer. The bottles in each tote are packaged at random.
Dark Lord Russian-Style Imperial Stout (2007 through 2019)
2011: Brandy BA
2012: Bourbon BA
2013: Bourbon BA *This was likely a mistake as no regular Bourbon BA variant was available in 2013. It appears that packages actually could contain bottles of 2013 Port BA
2015: Aquavit BA, 2-year Portuguese Brandy BA
2016: Trump and Pump, Legio Gemina
2017: Chemtrailmix, French Vanilla Militia, Conquistador De Muerte, Marshmallow Handjee
2018: Marshmallow Handjee, Chemtrailmix, TurtleDogg, Lounge Against the Macromachine, Hung Drawn and Quartered, Greatest Teachable Moments, French Vanilla Militia, Cavaliero of Varnov, Brozerker, Brotilla
2019: Bourbon BA, Marshmallow Handjee, Rye BA, ‘Rrari Crochet, ReptileFund, Loadstar, Lounge Against the Macromachine, French Vanilla Militia, BA Rye x DVR, BA Bourbon x DVR, Chemtrailmix, Cavaliero of Varnov, Brosure
THE FINE PRINT
You will purchase your Dark Lord based on your preferred pickup date. Available pickup dates include 7/15 through 7/19 + 7/23 through 7/26, 11am-7pm.
All orders must be placed online & received using contactless pickup at our brewery:
9750 Indiana Pkwy, Munster, Indiana 46321.
The name on the order must match the ID of the person picking up the package(s). We are unable to ship bottles.
Vintage Dark Lord Day merchandise will also be available to purchase for curbside pickup on 3floyds.com, beginning July 14.
✦ If you plan to purchase merchandise, additional beer, or spirits for pickup — your curbside order must be placed the day prior to your vintage Dark Lord pickup ✦
- Arrive between 11am-7pm on your scheduled pickup date. Calumet Avenue is currently under construction — please plan accordingly to allow extra travel time. Follow the ‘Dark Lord Bottle Pickup’ signs to pull into a pickup lane.
- Show your valid 21+ ID and confirmation email to the 3 Floyds employee through your closed car window. Your ID must match the credit card holder’s name on the confirmation email, no exceptions.
- Pop your trunk or roll down your rear window. An employee will place your vintage Dark Lord package(s) in your vehicle.
ALL CUSTOMERS ARE REQUIRED TO STAY IN THEIR VEHICLES WHILE ON BREWERY GROUNDS.
- If you placed an order for additional products on our curbside pickup page, follow the signs to pull into the brewpub lot after you receive a text message that your order is ready. Your curbside order must be placed the day prior to your vintage Dark Lord pickup date to guarantee same-day pickup.
In addition to the announced variants, customers also reported getting the following variants in their packages:
- 2011 Bourbon Barrel Dark Lord
- 2014 Portuguese Brandy Dark Lord
- 2015 Coffee Congac Dark Lord
- Pierre’s Javelin — Dark Lord aged in Rivesaltes barrels
- Chemtrailmix — Dark Lord aged in rye barrels with Mekong cinnamon + pink peppercorns
- Hellaboozie — Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels
- ‘Rrari Crochet — Dark Lord aged in congac barrels with toasted coconut, freeze-dried strawberries, cocoa nibs + vanilla beans
- Keyrock - Dark Lord aged in rye barrels
- Sacred Sword of Jövan - Dark Lord aged in 3 Floyds Distilling Divine Rite barrels + 2 year port whiskey barrels with Groittines cherries
- French Vanilla Militia — Dark Lord aged in Sauternes barrels with espresso, vanilla beans + cocoa nibs
- 2-year French Vanilla Militia — Dark Lord aged in Sauternes barrels for 2 years with espresso, vanilla beans + cocoa nibs
- My Rod My Comfort — Dark Lord aged in Single Malt Scotch barrels
- Loadstar — Dark Lord aged in bourbon + maple syrup barrels with toasted coconut
- Lounge Against the Macromachine — Dark Lord aged in mezcal barrels with orange peels, guajillo peppers, cocoa nibs + Mekong cinnamon
- Marshmallow Handjee — Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels with vanilla beans